Thursday, June 4, 2009

(12/17/08): Laura

Navigational systems only take you so far.
Far enough that you can see the end of the street,
and you can touch the end of the street,
but you can’t go past it.

The annoying voice tells you when to go right,
or left, but then leaves you hanging at the intersection because it has to reset itself.



There was a time when I couldn’t feel anything.
When I wouldn’t see the stars come out
and it wouldn’t bother me because the shining
and the winking had no meaning.

A time when each would sit on a shoulder
and whisper light and dark into my ears,
and I had to choose between the two.

It was about that time when my GPS stopped working
and I would stay lost for long periods of time.
My compass had no magnet
pinning it to the earth and it would spin freely.

It was when I could dance ballet,
and pirouette on the big toe of my left foot.
And then, upon falling, I wouldn’t get up.



But it was then Laura’s voice would return
to bring me back to the top of the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment